Symptoms, causes, treatment of rupture of PKC of the knee joint.
The anterior cruciate ligament of the knee joint is an important shock absorber that helps the knee move. It prevents bone friction. In this article we will tell you what damage is characteristic of this ligament and how they need to be treated.
Rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament of the knee joint: symptoms, causes, diagnosis
- Most often, the anterior cruciate ligament is stretched or torn when performing heavy physical exertion, as well as twisting the legs.
- Occurs during a game of football, basketball, and other game sports.
- More and more tears of this ligament appear during skiing. Thus, a person descends from the hill, the ski does not fall, and if the descent is incorrect, it remains on the foot. Thus, the knee is twisted, because of this the ligament breaks.
The fact is that pain for a rather long period of time may be absent. The saddest thing is that not every clinic can diagnose this injury. Most often, a person is asked to move, bend and unbend the knee, and also watch an x-ray. But on the x-ray, the ligament rupture is not visible, does not give any information and ultrasound. The only diagnostic method that helps to detect this pathology is MRI. Unfortunately, not all clinics have this unit. Most often, studies are carried out in paid medical centers, and they are quite expensive.Ligament damage
Rupture of PKC of the knee: non-surgical treatments
Many orthopedists recommend pumping the front of the thigh in order to minimize injury to the knee. Indeed, after strengthening the muscles of the thigh, the knee becomes stable. But inside the bunch is not restored. What is the danger of not timely treatment of this injury?
If you do not respond to rupture of this ligament, then over time, the depreciation properties in the knee deteriorate. Thus, the cartilage itself is destroyed, which leads to arthrosis and loss of ability to bend and unbend the knee. Accordingly, this ligament is a very important element of the knee joint.MRI ligament rupture
How is this ligament treated? There are several techniques. One of them is strengthening the front and rear muscles of the thigh, as well as the lower leg. This in no way helps the bunch recover. Unfortunately, she is not able to grow together on her own. That is, without surgical intervention, it is impossible to restore this ligament.
All procedures that are aimed at strengthening the hips only help to make the knee stable and not to scroll from side to side. But at the same time, the ligament remains torn, and the joint continues to collapse.Knee grafting
Some people may refuse surgery. Most often these are patients who do not need high knee functionality. That is, people aged, pensioners, as well as people with progressive arthrosis, in whom the knee is quite unstable. In all other cases, treatment and restoration of this ligament is required. At the initial stage, edema appears at the fracture site and fluid is collected.
In this case, it is necessary at the very beginning after the injury to apply a cold knee to the sore knee and apply a fixing bandage. In order for the knee not to walk from side to side, within a few days it is necessary to reduce the load on the limb. It is best to walk on crutches. Further, it is necessary to perform exercises that strengthen the muscles of the thigh, as well as the ankle, in order to prevent the constant movement of the knee.Knee bandage
Surgery to restore PKC of the knee
After all these manipulations, it is necessary to carry out arthroscopy, and to establish whether the ligament rupture actually takes place. The advantage of this diagnosis is that an operation can be done to confirm the diagnosis. It is called plastic ligament repair. Now there are 2 ways to restore this bundle: from artificial and natural materials. As artificial synthetics are used.
- These are synthetic elastic fibers that serve as a replacement for the ligament. But experience shows that such transplants take root very poorly. Accordingly, it is best to perform operations using natural materials. Material is taken from the patient from the posterior popliteal ligament. There, the skin is very delicate, and the characteristics of the material are suitable and fulfill all the functions of the anterior cruciate ligament.
- During the manipulation, a small hole is made in the knee, and the material is pulled from the back to the front. The anterior cruciate ligament does not lend itself to stitching, respectively, only grafts will have to be used.
- The necessary piece is separated from the posterior ligament and screwed to the upper and lower parts of the bone. The choice of tactics for conducting the operation is determined by the doctor. Basically, it depends on the age of the patient and the individual characteristics of his health.
- The approximate period of rehabilitation, a return to normal walking is 2-3 weeks. That is, in two to three weeks a person can walk normally without crutches. You can return to the sport no earlier than after 6 months. This plastic allows you to completely normalize your lifestyle and even return to professional sports.
As you can see, using conservative techniques and medications is absolutely useless. Because they do not contribute to the fusion of the ligament, but only help eliminate the pain. The main task during initial trauma is to relieve pain and swelling. For this, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used. Antibiotics may be prescribed if the doctor is afraid that an infection may develop. In most cases, the only option for ligament repair is surgery.